Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Looking Up

Lately I have been feeling overwhelmed. Our family is in major transition. There are so many things that I need to do, but for some reason I am not motivated to do them. Decisions to make and challenges to face daily, yet I feel like just hiding away and not facing anything. It is as if I let the weight of the world bury me before even trying to fight back.

Today I was reminded of 1 John 4:4 which says, "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world!" What an amazing thing it is to know, even while we are in the battle, that it has already been won for us. We all need to remember this, and I know I will be reading this passage over again soon.

Right now I am feeding the kids lunch and trying to clean the bathrooms too (ok, and blog) while they eat. But I also need to clean many other rooms in my house as well as sort toys, clothes and just general 'stuff' into boxes to giveaway, throw away, store away or pack away. Lots of pre-work before we get to the actually job of packing up the house to move. I also have several calls to make, friends I should connect with, details to review for a wedding I am coordinating, reading and prayer time that is overdue, dinner to plan....and as you know the list goes on and on.

As moms, we always have things to do; the list can be never ending. But my challenge is to remember to keep my eyes focused on Him, and on the big picture that He is in control of. Sometimes I get bogged down in the many details I need to attend to at the moment, and lose sight of the fact that I am looking at just a tiny, immediate glimpse of what God is unfolding in my life. And the view from my perspective can be confusing and even scary. If I rely on my own sight and try to conquer all the obstacles in my world I feel lost, defeated and attacked. But if I look up, to Him, I will find help. I will find strength, peace, rest and wisdom.
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber
~Psalm 121: 1-3~


2 comments:

Carolina said...

Bethany Dear,

You have been in my thoughts and prayers these last days and weeks as I have learned of the upcoming changes in your lives.

Know that the times of uncertainty are when God can and will do mighty things in your life - if you let Him. I believe great things are awaiting you and your family.

You have a servant's heart and a willingness to get involved. This is so great and I will pray God will use this for His glory.

Enjoy the ride and remember how you are loved.

Carolina

bethany said...

thanks Carolina!! :)