Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Sink or Swim?

Yesterday my baby girl (okay she turns three in a couple weeks) went to her first swim lesson!! Like any parent, I was a bit nervous about how she would do. We know she LOVES the water, at least in our kiddie pool she is fearless, but wondered what she would do in a large pool with a swim instructor she had never met and......without mommy. Yes you heard me, I sent my baby off to her first swimming lesson and did not accompany her.

All of my colleagues in motherhood can probably understand how this feels; sending your baby off into the big world without you. The fact that it was only a few minutes away and she was going with my trusted neighbor and friend, who also happens to be the mother of one of her best friends, did not matter. We share a yard so the girls love each other and are very used to listening to each others' mothers, but I was still worried. She was going to experience such a big, 'first' without me.

I prepared her as much as I could. Told her what to expect, each step that would occur in the class and of course reminded her several times to listen to the teacher. I reassured her that she would have fun, would do well and would be fine. But in reality I was reassuring myself. My true fear was that she would get scared or something would happen and I would not be there. That she would need me and I would be absent. Parents are not allowed into the pool area anyway...but I wanted it to be me sitting with the other parents, straining to look through the window and follow her progress.

The time for the lesson approached and my daughter was so excited that she went outside to wait for her friend to walk across the yard. She had her bathing suit on and her towel in her hand. When my neighbor came out to drop her younger son off with me, my sweet girl did not even pause to say good bye to me. She ran off with her pal towards their car saying, "Wait for me!" Without even a glance over her shoulder or a wave to mom, she was off!

She returned safe, happy, wet and with one swim lesson under her belt. She had a good time, was able to follow instructions fairly well and cannot wait to go back tomorrow! My baby not only survived without me, but thrived. And I am not sure how that makes me feel. I am glad, but am also mourning the true end of her 'baby' days! Remembering that God has given her to me as a precious gift just for a time, I smile, then hang her towel and suit to dry so that they will be ready when she ventures out again tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Oh, Bethany, my heart feels everything you are feeling! How wonderful that she can have this opportunity!