Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tasting the Fruit of Forgiveness

...Jesus said, "the one who is forgiven much loves much; the one who is forgiven little, loves little". Luke 7 :47

Dear Sisters in Christ,
I have been forgiven many times in my life for offending others - for thinking of my own needs before others' - for speaking before thinking - for not applying the principle of listening well and loving much. Can you relate?
With all this forgiveness has come gratefulness on my part - for people who could have walked away, but instead have abided with me, for salvation that continues to show me grace and mercy daily, and a life which will ultimately lead to heaven. How about you? Has there been at least one person who has forgiven you so that it made an impact on your life? Psalm 23:6 tells us that 'goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life - and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever'.
If you have been forgiven and have tasted this goodness - especially from God, you become grateful for each good moment. This verse from Psalms does not say that every moment will be without challenges, but that God's goodness and mercy will follow you all the days of your life.
There will still be hurdles to cross, disagreements with family and friends, illness, death, prodigal children, unemployment, and foreclosures in the Christian's life, but our God is bigger than all of our problems. He forgives; He binds up the broken hearted and when we open our mouths, the bible tells us He will fill them up.
Now it is up to you to also forgive others so they can love much as well. When your little or not so little child disobeys, embarasses, or disrespects you, I encourage you to forgive them in Jesus' name. When your spouse does not anticipate your needs, leaves a mess for you to clean up, or forgets to do what you asked him to do the first time or the 50th time, will you forgive him and love him in spite of these moments?
I am finding that for me to truly forgive, I must stop talking - out loud and in my head. I also find that when I am sleep deprived, I am less likely to choose selfless agape love, and unless I begin and end each day with prayer, I will ramble and complain and see each situation from a worldy selfish point of view. Look at the verse at the top of the page. He who is forgiven much, loves much and he who is forgiven little, loves little. Let's live our lives as forgiven women who then can forgive others and love the way God calls us to live. Next time, STOP, THINK, PRAY, and LISTEN. You will bless and you will be blessed.
Enjoy this beautiful time of year.
Love, Carolina

2 comments:

Treany said...

Amen, I need to do this.

bethany said...

thanks! I also need to STOP, THINK, PRAY and LISTEN!! I wrote this down on a card for myself so I can stick it on the mirror, fridge, car or wherever I most need it that day!