Thursday, October 2, 2008

Be Still....and Know - by Jill

Psalm 46:10 BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD

Recently I was asked to write about the experience I had with breast cancer 3 years ago. Those of you who know me know that although I was fearful, my experience was a time of hope, undaunted faith and complete surrender to God. To me it was the best spiritual time of my life. As I prepared to write about this time of my life, I searched my journals
for entries during that time period. As I did, I was filled with a terrible sadness, a feeling of deep loss. However, I wasn't sad because of the trial I went through, quite the opposite; I was sad because my current relationship with God just doesn't measure up. You see during that time period my eyes were completely focused on Him. The "cares of the world" were not my cares. Instead I relied totally on God for everything - from finding the doctors He wanted me to use, guiding all the surgeon's hands, praying for my hospital roommates, and deciding what my treatment plan was... I even asked Him to help me further His kingdom as I shared my faith and trust in God to the people I met inside and outside the church. In fact, I can't remember a thing I didn't talk to Him about or ask for His guidance. Because my heart was so fixed on Him and teachable, He revealed things to me I never dreamed of. Some of those things I will discuss at a later date. As I reflected on this I realized the constant communication I had with God stopped somewhere along the WRONG path. I allowed the busyness of my life to replace the continuous discussions I had with my Father in heaven. I have substituted hurried prayers for sitting at the feet of Jesus. This was just the thing God warns to us in Hebrews 12:1-2, "Let us also lay aside every hindrance and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus." Yet, I am grateful for this eye-opener. God is calling me back.
So what about you? Are you allowing the cares and worries of life to snuff out precious time with our Lord? Are you giving Him your time? Your life? Are you waiting for Him to answer you? to open doors? to show you the way? If so, be still and know that He is God, that He is the Lord of your life. Just run to His feet and into His arms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, thanks for the reminder to be still before God. I find that there is so much truth in the verse (or song?) that says "In His pressence there is fullness of joy." That is the place where I find wisdom for my day, peace for my soul and joy for my heart, every time!.
Sue

bethany said...

'Be still' is such a simple command.....but sometimes profoundly hard to do. I was reading this again today and reminded that it is it not 'be still' but be still and 'know that He is God.' I am practicing this today! Thanks!