Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting Kids to Eat Right - some tips from Sue

As a nutritionist and a mother, I especially feel I am doing a good job if my kids are getting nutritious meals throughout the day. As kids become older and more exposed to how others eat it becomes more challenging to keep their diets healthy. For years the only bread we offered in our house was whole-grain bread. I never thought I would buy white bread, but one day someone else’s white bread accidentally ended up in our shopping cart (or did it!) My daughter really enjoyed it and wants to have all her sandwiches on white bread now. I have actually found a white, whole-grain bread with fiber so I do not mind buying it for her. I have learned that I really have to pick my battles as they get older. Better for her to eat white bread than nothing at all!

There are some principles I teach my clients and my family in order to maintain good nutritional balance and a healthy weight! I would like to share some of these with all the moms out there.

Good breakfast = good whole grain carbs & good protein: For breakfast, the body craves carbohydrates for fuel since we have been fasting all night. Whole-grain carbs such as whole grain cereals, breads, waffles or pancakes, fruit and dairy are great sources of carbohydrate. Carbohydrates alone will leave you feeling hungry in a short time though, so be sure to have some protein too. Good breakfast sources of protein are low-fat cheese, turkey or soy bacon, and vegetarian sausage links. Eggs are considered the gold standard for protein. If you are looking to cut back on the fat, you can make scrambled eggs using one whole egg and one or two egg whites. There are also some high-protein yogurts available such as Greek yogurt.

Protein at every meal: If you find it hard getting your child to eat protein-rich foods, you can add protein powder in the form of whey or soy. Organic whey protein powders are available as well as inorganic. You can blend a scoop of protein powder with 8 oz. of skim or 1% milk and a cup of frozen fruit (mango and strawberries are our favorites). This will give you the protein equivalent in a 3-oz. piece of meat, and this shake tastes yummy. Sometimes I make hot cereal such as oatmeal and add some protein powder to the pot after it is cooked and stir it in. Having protein at each meal is a great practice as it is not only filling but also helps keep blood sugars regulated for a longer period of time than just carbs alone. You and your child will not crave refined sugary snacks as much if you are getting protein with each meal.

Fruit and Veggie Tip: When choosing fruits and vegetables try to get a variety of color during the week. Each color offers a different vitamin and all are needed to maintain good health. If it is hard to get vegetables into your kids, try adding blended vegetables in meatloafs, stews, sauces and meatballs.

Hope these tips are helpful to you and your family!

1 comment:

bethany said...

Great tips!! Thank you.