Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Just Ask!- By Sue

"... not my will, but thine be done..." (Matthew 6:9-13)

Have I truly surrendered my will to Jesus? Or, do I have my own way, follow my plans, give into my desires, and feel justified when I get mad? How often do I say to myself: "is this thing I am about to do, Your will Lord?? Must I ask about everything I do throughout the day?

If I cry out to Jesus before I do anything and pray the Lord's prayer including "thy will be done", then I am covered, right? Everything I say and do will be His will! Well, if that is true, why at the end of the day, am I grieved over yelling at the kids or my husband for the things they did or did not do? Why do I feel guilty about the extra money spent on myself? Was that cash needed to pay for a necessity? What if I pray "Thy will be done", do I still end up doing my own will? Because I am forgetful and yes, selfish- it is my human nature. But I do nothing as a mom but give, give, give, don't I deserve some respect and gifts once in a while? Is "Thy will be done" truly my attitude in glorifying Him?

The solution is to pray before we are faced with temptation (and we might know when that is based on the previous day's experience!). Lord, grant me the grace to do Your will when I walk in the door and be accepting of what I find there. This worked for me last night. After being gone for several hours, I knew when I walked in there would be a mess in the kitchen. So, I prayed. There was a mess, but I didn't get angry! I just cleaned it up (which was a huge success for me). I didn't mention it either. I just thanked God for those victories. If you can ever relate to a situation such as mine, please remember that God is faithful to provide the way out of sin every time- we just need to remember to ask!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your inspiration and reminder. You are a blessing.