Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Washing Your Family's Feet- by Sue

It was just before the Passion Feast. Jesus knew the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he now showed them the full extent of his love. - John 13:1


. . . He now showed them the full extent of His love. These words precede Jesus’ foot washing ceremony with His disciples. He was about to show them just how much He loved them by washing their filthy feet!

I have the opportunity to “wash my family’s feet” everyday when I pick up the dirty laundry from the bathroom floor, clean dog poop, cook, wash dishes, tidy up a room I did not mess up and so on. There are so many opportunities to show them the full extent of my love, yet love is not always exactly what I am feeling! I say things like: “they must not love me because if they did, they would help me more” or “why do I have to do everything around here?” I cannot say it is love I am exhibiting when I serve my family because my attitude is anything but loving. I feel burned out, tired and annoyed. Yet, deep down, I want to have the same attitude that Jesus had as He washed His disciples’ feet. He did not have to wash their feet, but He did. He showed them the full extent of His love in this humble act of service.

When I do follow in His footsteps and serve my family in the menial tasks, with love in my heart not expecting anything in return, then this becomes a true act of service – one done in secret! There may not be a “thank-you,” but if done with the attitude of Jesus, then my reward is that I became a little more like Him today than I was yesterday! And that is a gift from God.


Lord, help all of the moms who read this today to show their families the full extent of their love in their humble, unnoticed acts of service, knowing that their reward is eternal and brings You great joy. What we do in secret does not go unnoticed by you, for you know even every thought we think before we think it!

In Jesus’ name, amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a beautiful, vivid reminder. Thank you Sue.

bethany said...

Thanks for sharing this...I know that I have definitely been less than loving sometimes while serving my family. This encourages me to keep my heart attitude correct!