Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another Kind of Thanks

This year's Thanksgiving was so different for us. Three kids away, and a fourth flown out by grandma to be with the older three, that left us with our two youngest at home. For me, that felt almost heavy. I LOVE a full table, and I really feel that the more people I feed around my table, the more satisfying life is for me. I love the feasts, they are rich with symbolic metaphor for me, and Thanksgiving is certainly at the top of my list. God had another plan for me-other than the quiet and rest of a small celebration. But He had to help me see it first! Well, my nephew, being a student here in the city, was unable to go home for the break, so that was start. And then, he had a friend who also was also NYC bound for the holidays. Finally my eyes opened and I got the point. My husband & I started to let the word out to some other college groups that we had open seats.
I don't have any photos...I think we were all taken in by the wonder of these 7 students who came to be with us that day and we forgot to. We had a Bulgarian studying film and psychology, and an Indian physics student, both with heavy accents...we had 2 California guys who were brilliant musicians, and an artist, an actress, and a math student. What I enjoyed most about the day, were two things. Hearing each one, including my girls, describe what they were thankful for and describe how they had seen God in their lives this past year. Second, I really enjoyed play! These students knew how to laugh and play games! We played those silly games that require no props; word games and puzzles, and of course charades - for hours!
I saw some things this week again, about what happens when you let go of what you want, or think you need, and open up your heart and home to whoever wants to come. I'm also seeing that absence makes the heart grow sweeter...I get all my kids home for Christmas! Can't wait!!

1 comment:

bethany said...

I love how God filled your thanksgiving table and brought you all together....and showed you again how much you have to be thankful for! So glad you were willing to be open to what God planned for you feast....and fun!!