Thursday, December 4, 2008

My Nontraditional Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. There's something about this day that makes me all giddy inside. I also love to cook all the traditional Thanksgiving meals. The autumn spices and mulled apple cider bring back the fond memories of close friends and families.
But this year, we decided to skip the prepping, cooking, cleaning up, and even bringing out my favorite Guy Buffet china and took the easy way out. Although I'm in my best state of pregnancy (2nd tri), I get too tired these days, I had to go with my best friend, Boston Market :P

I was pretty impressed with how it turned out. The food was delicious and they gave us everything from table cover (we didn't use it because it was black and too Halloween-ish) to serving utensils, we practically didn't need anything. So all I did was light the candles, turn on the Christmas music, made the Thanksgiving Book (writings and drawings of what we are thankful to God from this year) with the children, and ate, and ate, and ate some more. 
We celebrated it last with a cake 
(my favorite) instead of pumpkin or apple crumb pie, which was 
different from what we usually do. But overall, we all enjoyed the care-free Thanksgiving this year because we had more time to chat and enjoy each other rather than cleaning up afterwards. We got to play Candyland together over hot chocolate and marshmallows, and the kids really appreciated us spending this special time with them.

 I hope that although it was an nontraditional Thanksgiving we had this year, they will cherish the memories the way I will through the years to come.

2 comments:

bethany said...

Sounds great - no prep and no clean up makes more time to spend doing other things with your family! I like the 'thanksgiving book' idea and plan to start that next year with my children! Another great family tradition to add!

Caitlin said...

I love the Thanksgiving book idea too - what a great tradition!