Monday, December 15, 2008

Quick, Easy Dessert!

Here is a very easy dessert recipe that I just made for the first time for a cookie exchange (even though it isn't really a cookie) and although at first I was dissatisfied with the result (the cheesecake flavor wasn't strong enough) after a few more (many more) tastes I really do enjoy these. They are very fudgy, which I love! Also, I had used a knife to make a marble design in the batter, which I think mixed the cheesecake with the brownie batter too much, resulting in a fainter cheesecake flavor. A good solution would be to sandwich the layer of cheesecake between the brownie batter (as are the instructions in the recipe below now). This idea was given to me by a friend whose Mom makes cheesecake brownies that way. These are so quick, they take less time to make than the oven takes to preheat! Enjoy!

Cheesecake Brownie Bites

1 box brownie mix (I used Betty Crocker original Supreme and loved it)
Water, oil, and eggs needed for your brownie mix
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of nutmeg (use up to 1 tsp. if you prefer, I just don't like too much nutmeg)
1 egg

1) Preheat oven to 375. Line a 9x13 oven-safe, deep pan with aluminum foil and spray bottom only with cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, mix brownie mix according to package directions. Pour half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3) In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, nutmeg, and egg. Pour all of the cheesecake mixture into the pan.
4) Finally, pour the rest of the brownie mixture into the baking dish. Bake for 25-35 minutes, start checking at 25 and every few minutes thereafter until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean or almost clean.
5) Cool for about an hour, then cut into squares or "bites" smaller than a regular brownie. (Although you can make them as big or small as you want!) Because they are so fudgy, it helps to spray your knife with a little cooking spray before cutting.
6) Store covered in the fridge. Eat often. Share with friends.

3 comments:

bethany said...

Caitlin this sounds too good to be true and I happen to have brownie mix and cream cheese at the moment. Might have to whip up a batch. thanks!

Sharon said...

I agree! It is dangerously easy to make!

Unknown said...

This sounds so good! It's definitely a plus for my sweets cravings :P