Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This is the Star

I read a wonderful Christmas book to my daughter in the doctor's waiting room last week, then the same book was showcased at my MOPS meeting this week.

This is the Star, by Joyce Dunbar, is a beautifully crafted poetic re-telling of the Christmas story! Reminiscent of This is the House that Jack built, the story builds one simple line at a time, and gains momentum until it's wonderful ending. With each page, another element is added and another breathtaking illustration is revealed. My daughter loved the rhythm, pictures and simple repetition of this book, but more importantly she loved the story it told. I admit that I was deeply touched by this beautifully simplistic, yet stunningly compelling, story of Christ's birth.

Just to give you a feel for the book. The first line reads: "This is the star in the sky," and a few pages later:
"This is the inn where the only room
Was a stable out in the lamplit gloom
For the donkey and his precious load
Who trudged the long and weary road
Looked on by the angel shining bright
Who came to the shepherds watching by night
That saw the star in the sky."

We probably would have read the story over and over, rather than just three times, had it been ours. I am ordering it for my daughter and nieces as well, and recommend that you read it to your children. Once you do, you will want to own this priceless new classic as well.

No comments: