Monday, December 22, 2008

The Calm and the Chaos

My house just went from full to empty in a matter of seconds. From loud, happy, chaotic chatter to quiet peaceful and controlled calm. From 10 people to 3 people (me, a sleeping baby and a toddler lounging on the couch with books).
My husband's cousins (all single girls from late teens to late 20's) came to visit. It was such a short stay (one day and overnight) but I loved it. I like having people laughing in every room, I like not being able to follow all the conversations that occur simultaneously and I like watching them meet my children for the first time and watching them tease, hug and fall in love with each other. I liked getting to know each of them a little better, as we do not see each other often. We promised to stay in touch and talk more, to stay involved in each others lives a bit and I hope we do.
Now listening to the sudden quiet in my house, I miss all the voices and smiles - but also realize that I enjoy the calm moments as well. I am wishing that it was not such a calm moment though and feeling a bit lonely for these cousins, this family, who I did not even know I missed! It was a blessing to have time with them.

My life is a mix of calm and chaotic moments, and there are times when I love them both. I find myself trying to control the when, where and how the calm and chaotic times occur though. As a mother, I often try to control when my home and children are loud and when they are calm. Which of course is impossible. It is like my relationship with the Lord, in that there are still, quiet times when I need to listen to Him speak. And there are exciting times when I feel like He is doing so much, so fast that I cannot keep up. Both moments are amazing and blessed....but I cannot choose when they occur. God has His perfect timing for each moment, for each season of my life. It is only a struggle for me when I decide that I want a period of calm and quiet, but God is saying - take action, let's go, I have great changes coming for you. Or when I am excited, bouncing off the walls trying to move forward, but God is telling me to wait, trying to guide me, if only I would be quiet enough to listen.

I am learning to be on God's timetable, which can be frustrating ...but also wonderfully freeing when I can let go of my expectations and hold on to His promises!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

What a wonderful expression of the Father in our lives...sorry this blog didn't make the Mom Inspirations book on time!