Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Don't Ask Unless You WANT the Answer

I had a brief conversation with my 2 year old recently, that taught me a few things. It unfolded as follows:

"Do you need a tissue?" I asked.

"No," she replied.

"Are you sure?" I asked again, "Your nose is running."

"I said NO," she stated sternly. "NO means NO!"

Then she gave me a look that seems to simultaneously scold me and declare me funny, as she walked out of the room.

Wow! I guess she told me! I was trying to keep from laughing out loud at our little exchange, but realized that I had completely set myself up for that.

After all, what had I expected her to say when I asked if she needed a tissue? She was busy playing and in a two year old's world a running nose is hardly a concern. What I had actually meant was - 'You need a tissue.' Lesson learned, don't ask unless I am actually giving her a choice and going to act based upon her answer. If that is not the case, then don't ask - just tell. Next time I will just say, 'Time to wipe your nose,' or 'Here is a tissue for you.' The same way I say, 'Time for bed,' not 'Do you want to go to bed now?'

Her response after I asked a second time, taught me something else though. She is actually listening to what her father and I say, as it was a direct quote from Daddy. She even mimicked his tone and inflections. And the fact that she thought it was silly that I had asked again after she said no, made me realize that she has a very good understanding of what no means! If we say NO she knows we mean it and usually does not ask again!

As much as I laughed at our funny little conversation, it also made me think honestly about how many times I ask questions of others when I am not really ready to listen. Worse yet, I have asked God a question when I am not prepared to truly listen and act based upon His answer. In reality, though it is phrased as a question, I am not asking.... I am trying to tell God what I think He should do. Talk about needed a reality check! Have you ever done that??

I love that God is so creative and gracious that He can use a humorous conversation with my daughter to show me where I have erred in speaking to Him. I will definitely take care now to prepare my ears to listen, my heart to respond and myself to act before asking.

No comments: