Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Firsts

We celebrated my son's first birthday this past weekend and it was a bit hectic but so much fun! Rather than have a big bash for all of our friends we decided to have a small family party instead. Unfortunately our family does not live close by, but both sets of grandparents traveled to be here for his birthday! Our neighbor and her children (our one year old's only non-adult friends) came as well. Add one balloon, a small banner, plenty of treats, presents and smiled and it made for a wonderful time. Anything more would have been completely overwhelming to him.

As I watched him play with his first balloon (or in this case get scared by it), eat his first cupcake (apple muffin with whipped cream cheese) and tear the paper of his first presents I reflected on how many first he has had this year! First laugh, first word, first tooth, first food, first step, first ER trip, first Christmas...the list goes on.

I think one of my favorite aspects to motherhood is watching my kids experience so many 'firsts.' Seeing their excitement, wonder, surprise, joy and sometimes even trepidation over new things is amazing! My son is my second child, but all his firsts are so different from my older daughter's. They are really firsts for me too!

Surrounded by family, scattered conversation and laughing kids I was reminded of how much I have to be thankful for, and of how many firsts I have had in my own life...and will continue to have. Will I be able to trust God with all of these firsts and look to Him for direction? Like my children look at me for reassurance during so many of their firsts. I don't think we ever stop having 'firsts' in our lives, especially as we grow towards becoming the person God has created us to be. I am glad that our Heavenly Father is here to experience all of our firsts, the joyful and the tearful, with us!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

We praise God for the joy of being a part of your family's "firsts!" "You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing." Psalm 145:16