Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Family Vacation

Must be the start of summer, as 'vacation' seems to be on everyone's mind! (Thanks Caitlin for your great ideas yesterday about how to vacation at home.) I love to go away too though. However, I do NOT relish all the hard work to pack up everything we all need. Then to travel there with the kids. And often feel exhausted by the time we get home. So is it worth it?? Definitely, especially when we head to one of our favorite destinations.

Personally I have been waiting and anticipating our vacation for quite a while. We don't vacation very often and like to be frugal with our money. So one of our favorite vacation spots is...... our parents! Yes you heard me. It may not be a tropical island or a luxurious resort, but staying with family has countless benefits.

There is nothing wrong with a trip to Disney or better yet to a Caribbean island. And if you can easily afford and manage that....wonderful!! But a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's can be pretty amazing too!!

Free Babysitting, Free Lodging, Priceless moments, Breakfast, lunches and most dinners included....just to mention a few highlights!

Seriously, Grandma and Grandpa LOVE to babysit the kids so my husband and I can get some alone time. Or time away with friends. Also it is fun and easy to take day trips or even short outings to local museums, parks and other sites in the area.

Last night we went out to the Drive-In and were not home until well past 2 AM. It was simple and cost only $7, but I had a blast. This morning I slept in and later my daughter received a pancake making lesson from Grandma. She was delighted to cook and proud to help make the food for everyone. Again, it is something so simple but it was a thrill for her.

Especially since my children are younger, vacation is more about getting to spend time together and do new things. It is about getting to be with friends and family, laughing, staying up late and sleeping in. It is about my husband and I getting time without our kids and our kids getting some time without us too!!

Perhaps I just have the best parents and best in-laws in the world (I could be biased), but I think everyone should take a good old 'family' vacation some time soon. Whether it is a favorite Aunt and Uncle, your parents, or a best friend's family; enjoying the simple things together is the best vacation. You don't always need to go to a fancy amusement park or resort or have every day planned with exciting events. And when you don't, sometimes you can actually return home feeling rested rather than exhausted and ready for another vacation!

So happy vacationing to all of you! And let us know your favorite destinations.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

I'm so glad you're having a great time, Bethany! Our vacations are usually visiting David's family in England and we love it! Free lodging, better than restaurant meals (My Mother-in-law's cooking skills put professionals to shame) and time with people we love make great vacations!

Sharon said...

When I was reading Caitlin's blog yesterday, I was thinking about how having my children and grandchildren visit me is my favorite vacation without leaving home!