Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Moms' Prayer

This morning I sat to begin my morning and read the following words from scripture. "I have no greater joy than to know that my children are walking in the truth." (3 John 1:4 NIV)

Interestingly, I fear greatly right now. Now, for the first time in 21 years of raising kids, I see the potential of one of them walking away from faith. I am deep in prayer for wisdom in being mom right now. This morning I was really encouraged with direction in how to pray for our kids, not just with our passionate hearts, but also with scripture. I wanted to share that with you.
Pray that your children will:

Know Christ as Savior early in life. (Psalm 63:1, 2 Timothy 3:15)
· Have a hatred for sin. (Psalm 97:10)
· Be caught when guilty. (Psalm 119:71)
· Be protected from the evil one in each area of their lives: spiritual, emotional, and physical (John 17:15)
· Have a responsible attitude in all their interpersonal relationships (Daniel 6:3)
· Respect those in authority over them. (Romans 13:1)
· Desire the right kind of friends and be protected from the wrong friends. (Proverbs 1:10-11)
· Be kept from the wrong mate and saved for the right one.(2 Corinthians 6:14-17)
· Be kept pure until marriage (as well as the one they marry). (1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
· Learn to totally submit to God and actively resist Satan in all things. (James 4:7)
· Be single-hearted, willing to be sold out to Jesus Christ. (Romans 12:1-2)
· Be hedged in so they cannot find their way to wrong people or wrong places and that the wrong people cannot find their way to them. (Hosea 2:6)

As you read this today, I pray for you. Some of you are still holding babies and napping toddlers. Some of these prayer needs may seem almost out of the realm of reality for you. I pray as a somewhat veteran mom, down the road a way. I have seen in my life moments of glory and goodness and assurance. There is also a lot of pride and blind assumption amongst the mommies on this well worn road. So I pray that you will lead your children with joy and lots of hope and a very keen watchful eye. Our enemy is crafty and christian moms can be very naive. But God is All-knowing and completely Sovereign! He loves our kids more than we ever have.

A lot of what I'm saying here today came from a daily devotional called crosswalk. You can read today's, and subscribe to daily devotionals at http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/

1 comment:

Janice said...

Thanks Donna for sharing and for the wisdom in how to pray for our children.