Friday, November 7, 2008

Looking Outside Ourselves for the Right Answers by Nina

Just about every magazine and newspaper that came to my home this past year had the message of the need for change in our country. On any given day in 2008, we would wake to to news of economic downturns, loss of jobs, increased gas prices, the condition of our military troops abroad, chaotic weather patterns, and the need for social reform. Thus, when our new President Elect spoke to those in Grant Park on the evening of November 4th, Mr. Obama was not only speaking to the tens of thousands of supporters gathered there, he was also speaking to those of us who stayed awake late enough in our homes. There was great emotion, skill and competence in the speech he made, and although I did not vote for him, I listened with a open heart for now he will be my president in January. He was communicating to those who voted for him as well as those who did not. He expressed his desire to lead all Americans to better times ahead.
How do you share your Christ centered faith, your vision, your reality with those you come into contact with daily? Are you believable? To reach the heart of another, it is not our skill that will persuade. To reach the heart of another, it will be our competence in our faith, a biblical view that must be able to challenge cultural trends, and love that believes, follows, and lives for the Gospel of Christ.
I have friends who hold divergent views about reality. It has taken me time to learn how to express sincere acceptance of these special people without judging them and yet not agreeing with them. I have wrestled with whether to lay out my arguments, try to persuade them or just accept them.
God is continuing to teach me how to live with a biblical view in a world that is secular. It is better to listen much, speak little, and not become angry. (James 1:19) This means that as I lay each circumstance at His feet and ask Him how to handle it, I listen. The answer usually does not come in my timeframe. You know if God is doing a work in you when you must wait. 'Love your neighbor as yourself' is God's call to how we are to reach the hearts of others.
I once heard a pastor define a Christian as one who begins with God and his choice of us. It is based on truth of who Jesus really is. It changes everything about my life. And, then the question of where we seek life's answers begins not within ourselves, because if we look within ourselves, we will always be disappointed because our faith will always seem like it isn't enough. If we look at our heart, we will see our own sinfulness. We must look look outside of ourselves for the answers. We must look to the Lord.
As our nation faces much uncertainty, let us look to Jesus for answers. The bible tells us that the Truth will set us free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nina, this was wonderful. Although I too did not vote for him, I will be lifting him and his family up in prayer as His word tells us to do. Lets pray for Obama's change of heart concerning abortion and marriage.