Monday, November 3, 2008

Spontaneous Praise

Very recently, my 15 month old daughter has started to have occasional "Mommy-dependence" again. She has gone through separation anxiety in the past, but this is a little different. She is now able to talk. So if she is upset, she cries out, "Mommy! Mommy!" to me in this pitiful voice that makes my heart ache with both sadness and happiness. You see, I'm sad to hear her sound upset, but I'm also so moved by how much she wants me, and (I'd like to think) how much she loves me.

Another recent development with my daughter is her ability to give good hugs. Sometimes while in the middle of playing with some toys, she'll just come over and climb up into my lap or reach up for me (sometimes saying "up! up!"). Then, when I pick her up she wraps her arms around my neck and rests her head on my shoulder. This usually doesn't last very long, and she's soon squirming and saying, "down! down!" and going back to her toys, but I treasure each one of these spontaneous outbursts of affection.

It made me think, though, about my relationship with my Father in Heaven, and how I show my affection to Him. I'm certainly like my daughter in that, when I am upset and struggling with a situation, I am quick to call out to God for help and support. I reach out for Him in prayer, earnestly and repeatedly, calling out to my "Daddy" for help and comfort. But I realized that I'm not very good at showing the Lord spontaneous bursts of affection everyday, like my daughter has just started to do with her hugs.

His Word says, "I will give thanks to the Lord because of His righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High." - Psalm 7:16. This is only one of the many verses that talks about thanking and praising God. And I really like what 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I pray everyday, but how often do I simply praise God and thank Him whole-heartedly for all of His blessings? How often do I say, "I appreciate that you are taking such good care of me," and "I love you for all that you are."? Rather than throw up a dozen quick "thank-you's" during the day that are not truly heartfelt, I need to start to show earnest appreciation and love for God that is spontaneous and sincere.

1 comment:

bethany said...

Amen!! Caitlin thank you for this vivid reminder. I do not just stop and praise God nearly as much as I need too.