Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The 'Perfect' Easter Morning

This past Sunday, Easter Sunday is a huge day in our house. Or at least the days preceding it are. My husband has a big hand in the planning and preparation on the many aspects of our church's large, off-site, wonderful Easter morning service. That means long hours, much work and little time with the family for the weeks prior to Easter. So as Easter approaches we are excited, not only to celebrate the miracle that Jesus rose from the dead, but the culmination of much hard work as well and the subsequent family time afterward.

I pictured my children, dressed in their best of course, and I entering the auditorium to greet my husband (in the 'control center'), take a beautiful family photo and then settle into our seats. Well, my newly walking one year old did not take a morning nap and was NOT very happy to be in his adorable tie and vest. My daughter was so enthralled by her dress that she could not stop swirling around for me to do her hair or snap a photo. I was thankful we got into the car on time.

By the time I carried my nearly 30 lb son and led my daughter ever so slowing by the hand, through the parking lot and up (then down) many steps into the auditorium....I was almost breaking into a sweat and could not wait to just sit down. Then the kids saw Daddy and were beyond excited. He gave us hugs for a moment before his attention needed to be focused elsewhere. "Happy Easter Daddy," my daughter said as we walked to our seats.

My son had no intention of sitting still on my lap and continued to throw himself off so he could be free to crawl and walk around. My daughter, however, was excited and still dancing around. "It's Easter," she told me enthusiastically over and over. I asked her if she knew why we were so happy and what we were celebrating today. Without hesitation she threw her hands up into the air and said, "JESUS IS ALIVE!" Her face lit up with a smile as she wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back and my heart lit up. This is why we are here...Jesus is why we are here, no other reason.

Later as my son lay sleeping in my arms and I joined with the hundreds of voices singing praises to our Risen Lord, I could not express the depth of my gratefulness and joy. Suddenly the reality of what Christ did for me was overwhelming. A single tear rolled down my cheek and I wanted to throw my hands in the air with child-like abandon and shout "JESUS IS ALIVE!"

I pray that my heart and my attitude and my life with shout this every day!!

No comments: