Monday, May 5, 2008

Butterfly Kisses


I know I made a promise to myself, that I won't be the kind of blogger who writes to brag about their kids, but today I must break that promise. 

Do you remember the song "Butterfly Kisses"? I love that song. It makes me sad while hearing it, but the song can truly capture what we parents go through everyday. 

My 20 month old keeps me on my feet all day everyday. She's quite the explorer armed with much curiosity and many times she wipes me out. By mid-morning I'll already be ready to go to bed. Don't get me wrong... I love the fact that she's learning about life and absorbing the world around her, but it's just that once she goes through the house, it looks like the aftermath of a whirring tornado. 

Nowadays I find myself getting exhausted but not only that, I get frustrated with all the mess, the tantrums and endless demands. I need a break. I don't think I can fairly describe the desperate feeling I'm keeping. But in moments like this, there comes the song. 

When I'm absolutely exhausted and I lie down to collect myself, little toddler would climb on the bed. If I have my eyes closed (and only if they're closed), she leans over and showers me with kisses. That's exactly what I do for her when I put her to bed. And in those moments, I must admit, everything fades away. Sure, I'm still tired and achy all over. But those indescribable moments bring such joy and happiness that no mess and tantrums can ever stop me from enjoying her in this stage of life. I realize I can live through these moments only once in my lifetime. I mind as well should definitely enjoy every moment of this. 

No comments: