Thursday, May 1, 2008

Attempting Martha Stewart

I can assure you that I am not at all like Martha Stewart. Homemaking, I feel, is one of the most challenging thing I ever faced in life. Before I got married and had kids, music and career was my life. I knew I would marry, sometime after I turn 30, but have never fantasized about being a wife, a mother of three, and a full time homemaker. I used to find joy in listening to operas with the music scores in hand, mastering music analysis. My mind was filled with beloved poems of Goethe and my heart was beating with music arrangements by Schubert, Brahms, and Mahler. But after 8 years of twists and turns, time has brought me to a new dimension of life.

Of course, being a homemaker is not easy. It is such a challenging occupation. But it teaches you the most valuable lesson in life. You are not the center of your life. The best-seller book The Purpose Driven Life mentions about this. I won't get into this now since I haven't even gotten to my point yet :P But I do realize that being a mother has taught me be to be a giving person, and that is one of the greatest lesson learned.

Needless to say, although it's challenging in all areas of my life: emotionally, physically, mentally and even spiritually, I love being a mother and a homemaker. Whether I'm good at it or not is another story... or post. Ha!

One thing I've been wanting to learn is to sew. If  I can master this skill, it'll open up a whole new world for me. Okay, since I'm on a roll in being brutally honest, I have a confession to make. I am addicted to quilts. Sadly, I don't even own one, but I am totally head over heels with them. There's something so mysterious about them and it feels as if each quilt has so much stories to tell. I should stop myself before I get all philosophical over a set of blankets. But this is something I'd love to learn and gift each of my beloved children. I love Purl Soho.
They have the most exquisite everything!

Anyways, all my planning for the new ministry is coming along pretty well. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet all the deadlines.

No comments: