Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Long Nights and Grateful Mornings

Sunday was a long day for me...rather a long night. As moms we all have those nights when our kids are sick, or won't sleep for whatever reason and we end up being awake too. Well this was literally one of the longest nights of my life.

My 11 month old woke up from a late nap. I was glad he had slept and was in such a happy mood. Those antibiotics are finally working, I thought, as it had been almost a week since he started medicine for his ear infections. An hour later I noticed a few red bumps on his face, then when I took his pants off for a diaper change I saw large hives covering his entire bottom half...from his stomach to his toes.

It did not dawn on me that he was allergic to the antibiotic, since he had been on it for so long already. After giving him benedryl, I spent much mental energy frantically trying to recall anything he could have come into contact with during the day, or anything new he ate or drank that he could be reacting too. Stumped, I could not figure out what was going on. (Almost funny how obvious the answer was!) Another half hour passed and the hives that were now covering his entire body had become so big they grew together into large, red, hot swollen patches.

I prayed that his reaction would subside and called the pediatrician. She immediately recognized that it was an allergy to the antibiotic. She instructed me what to watch for, to check for swollen lips, to listen to his breathing, when to give him more doses of benedryl and so on. It was bedtime, but I knew my baby would not be going to bed anytime soon. I prepared myself for a long night. And it was.

I updated my Facebook status to request prayer and was amazed by the number of friends (far and near) who responded to encourage, advise and pray for my us during the night. One friend even called to check in and see what was going on. Realizing how blessed I was with friends made me feel supported as I started what I knew would be a hard night.

Oddly enough, even though he got worse during the night, I stayed calm. Even though it was frightening trying to decide when and if to take him to the ER, as well as mentally and physically exhausting watching over him every moment, making sure I did not miss any danger signs - I knew that he was going to be ok. I never reached a state of panic. I can only account that to God's peace. Everything in my natural instinct and mother's heart, would cause me such anxiety that I would have been imagining the worst. Instead, as I held my child and stroked his head, I felt confident, I felt assured that God was with us.

Though my baby did end up needing some steroids to finally control his allergic reaction, he is fine. He awoke in the morning with a smile. Though obviously tired, red, blotchy and still a bit swollen; he giggled and babbles away as he reached for me. I hugged my boy close. Holding this precious gift in my arms I was thankful that God had given him to me, and had kept him safe.

My exhausting, trying night gave way to a morning of amazing joy and gratefulness.

No comments: