Monday, February 2, 2009

Writing a Keepsake

Recently, after making some beautiful journals with scrapbook covers, I was inspired to write letters to my children. I was not sure exactly how to start, and did not even write in the journals at first. I sat at the keyboard and began to type thoughts and phrases about my children. As soon as I began writing it was hard to believe how much I had to say.

I wrote short funny things about what they like, what makes them laugh and what they hated. I wrote touching, beautiful, tearful sentences about the things I love best about them and some of my favorite memories. I told them how special it makes me feel to be their mom. I shared my hopes, dreams and prayers for them. I reminded them that their personalities and talents are a gift from God, to be used for him. I told them I will always try to do what is best for them, and am sorry for the times I have failed, and will fail in the future. I wrote odd things that they say and do, trying to capture just a bit of their unique personalities with my words on the page. Almost as if to freeze this moment in time, to record it, to remember it. I also wrote a letter to my husband....after all, he is my love - first and before my kids.

I have not read the letters to my children or husband yet....but I treasure them already. I know that I will love looking back at these letters and am sure my family will enjoy reading them when they are older. What a wonderful keepsake. There will be many more letters to come in my home.

If you have never written a letter to your children or your spouse - - start now!! You do not need a pretty journal or digital scrapbook. You do not have to be a prolific writer and pen page after page. It can be a short note, a funny story, a prayer, a memory, a list of what happened that day, or a simple "I love you because....."

All you need is a few minutes to make a keepsake you and your child will treasure. So I challenge you all to try it!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

What a wonderful challenge! I treasure those letters without even seeing them! I admire you for prioritizing your life, and doing something so meaningful, even though you are very busy.