Friday, February 20, 2009

Preparing Them For Tomorrow

Things are changing in my family. We recently took our first family vacation without my son who is away at school. My girls are also growing and changing ever so quickly that what used to be the clatter of young children in the back seat is now quiet conversation and laughter coming from the back of the suburban - which by the way is their friendship deepening and is a pleasure to hear. My husband and I are in amazement at how quickly it is all happening. We love this family that God has given us, however are recognizing that life happens in seasons and those seasons must be savored, for if they are wished away or rushed through, will be gone. What we may have remaining will be what ifs of what could have been.
Ecclesiastes 3:1, 11 tells us 'for everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.... He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.' Do you ever ask yourself why this season of your life is as it is? Do you ever ask God why He gave one of your children a tendency that you do not think you have the capacity to nuture and see grow? Perhaps these time honored words from Eccelesiastes sheds light on the truth - that we can not see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end yet?
Countless books have been written about the strong-willed child. "Bend the will", the experts say, "but don't break it". What did this mean, when at times I just wanted them to get through the day without fighting with each other, obeying their father and I the first time we asked (or even the third), eating their vegetables, and going to bed on time. I wasn't mature or ready to understand "bending the will", but as I grew in parenting, I realized that this nature that God gave them is His gift. We as parents are not in the position to squelch the nature or be critical of the Maker. Rather, we are to treasure it, nurture it, mold it, and direct it toward the fear of the Lord.
I have found that this happens only through constant connection with God ourselves. We are not capable of nor should we attempt to control a child's nature. My teenager loves to remind me that I have a tendency to try to micromanage his life. Well, the truth is that for the last 15 years, I did everything for him, and now as he enters a new chapter of his life, I am to assume my new role as coach and consultant - this is no easy task, but I will work toward this goal. Moms, start this process earlier than I did. Remember that each day is to be a day toward Godly independence. They need Jesus more than they need you. Harsh words? I hope not - they are what everyone one of us needs to hear. Enjoy this moment and the next with your young children, but remember that you should be preparing them for what lies ahead - for the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end rests in His hands, not ours. Amen.

1 comment:

bethany said...

As my children are so young now it is hard to always remember that I am training them towards 'godly independence' as you mentioned. Sometimes it seems so far off, I forget that everything I teach them is building their foundation. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder of this responsibility!!