Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Introduction to The ABC's of Character-Building (by Beth R.)

It started as a letter that I received from my mother, Sue Goddard, when I was expecting my first child. She wrote, “As you know, Dad and I had very little formal training when it came to rearing children. We just knew from God’s Word the attributes we wished our children to have. So we proceeded to use that book to help us, to the best of our ability, introduce those values to our children in and through our own home life.” Mom then laid out an incredible list of qualities – one for each letter of the alphabet – with Bible verses that gave them solid shape and meaning. What an incredible resource this list became all through my kids’ growing-up years! It helped me focus not on only their outward well being, but on their inner character growth.

I’ve added some of my own thoughts to make the ABC’s of Character-Building a collection of two generations of mothering tips. That’s over fifty years of experience – from laced saddle shoes to Velcro cross-trainers – from black and white TV to flat screen HD – from the Korean War to the War on Terror. Our kids will need to steer through similar dramatic changes in their world. Thankfully, God’s truth provides unchanging wisdom and unfailing guidance. Mom put it this way: “As people are spiritually well, the other goals will fall in place.” Let’s use these scripture guideposts to create a spiritual wellness program in our homes that will last for generations to come.

All verses are presented here in the King James Version, just as my mother gave them to me. I chose to retain this version of the biblical text as a reminder of our long Bible heritage. Many generations of mothers have found a haven in these words! Let us do so as well.

Praise ye the Lord. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, that delighteth greatly in His commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth; the generation of the upright shall be blessed! -- Psalm 112: 1 & 2

The just man walketh in his integrity; his children are blessed after him. - - Proverbs 20:7

Let’s get started with the letter A in the article that follows, and watch for future installments to the ABC’s of Character-Building throughout 2009.

1 comment:

bethany said...

hooray...I will be reading these ABC's of character building carefully so that I can learn how to build the right character in my kids