Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh Boy, I'm Rich!

Well.... at least in theory. I came across a very interesting article from cnn.com that I saved a while ago, and I thought I'd share it with you for fun :)

Apparently, some company called salary.com did a study and a survey about how much a stay at home mom would earn if they were to compensate the amount of work, considering skills, and the hours. So, according to this, I would be paid guess how much? Try $116,805.00 x 3= $350,415.00 per year!! (Expecting another promotion with my 4th child :P )

Amazing, huh?

According to their survey, typical moms work 94.4 hours a week- meaning more than half the working hours are on overtime.

A mom with two boys said in her interview, that her "job" as a mother gives her intangible benefits she wouldn't be able to have in the workplace. She says, "The rewards aren't monetary, but it's a reward knowing that they're safe and happy, because it's worth it all."

Yes, I whole-heartily agree- Motherhood is a privilege given by our Heavenly Father. We have a responsibility to raise His beloved children to become people who truly love the Lord. And with that comes all the benefits, right? We don't get paid with money, but we certainly get to keep all those precious memories no money can buy. And most of all, it helps us to understand how God loves us as a parent.

So, at times when I feel extremely frustrated or discouraged (i.e. fighting bedtimes, sibling rivalry, two year old tantrums, etc.), I try to take a deep breath and remind myself of the privilege I am given. And although not easy, I should savor every moment of my time with my children because I know time flies by so fast and there will be a moment in my life that I will miss all the tantrums :)

1 comment:

bethany said...

Great post! Thanks! We need to remember what an important job we have....it may not actually be high paid now. But we are definitely rich...with family, with children, with crazy hectic sticky days and lazy cuddly laughing days and every moment in between!!