Friday, January 23, 2009

Being IN the Here and Now

There is something that has consumed much of my internal pondering. I should explain that. I think there's a place in all of us that doesn't 'get out' much. What I mean is, we have 'safe zones', the places we share and get prayer for, we have 'safe requests' too - the things that we can handle admitting that we need help or prayer in. You know, it's manageable to ask for prayer with health, or to pray for patience, but if you've been in church a while, there's a part of you that will struggle to open doors to the 'inside' - where the REAL issues get pondered, and processed - most often alone.

Well, I'm burdened by the silence of a teenage son. There's a part of me that doesn't want anyone to know that, because I don't want to look too vulnerable as a parent. I mean the first reaction is to diagnose, to find what went wrong, and you get to a point where too many failures on your record are more than you can handle wearing...at least in your minds' own self conscious eye. But, it's true. I do have to say though, that nothing has actually happened yet, or gone wrong - officially --YET! But there is a relational absence that translates to concern in my brain - well, in my heart for sure. When the sunny 'hi mom' or 'I love you too...' hasn't been heard for a while. When you feel like your interrupting when you say good morning, and there's no interest in your little love offerings of food or (whatever)! When there hasn't been a hug - a real one, in AGES. These are pains that lead to a heavy hearted low. I can't help but worry, because he seems gone - at least from my husband and I.

I'm bringing this up here because there has been an anchor for me. And that anchor is this. First, God is more invested in my son than I am. THAT's good!! Also, I have some well grounded memories and evidence of a solid emotional foundation. That's what I want to say here. Savor these days with your young children at home. Milk them for all there worth!! They pass SO quickly. You know it, you hear it, but it needs to be said over and over because we have a tendency to always look forward OR backward and to not be present enough - right where you are right now. Moments of holding your child, or squatting down to have a conversation at their eye level. Giving them TIME to finish what they're saying, and even asking a follow-up questions to further exercise your patience...these are the things we will need for reference when the sun goes behind the clouds. We get fuel for these exercises in patience from one place ONLY. Patience, gentleness, kindness...these fruits come from the Father. A holy Father and his Holy Spirit!

I really just wanted to encourage you today, and remind myself - to give. To let giving stretch us beyond what we ever thought we could stretch to. To savor the richness of THIS season, before it's moved on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The days my 8 year olds son looks back at the car as I drive off get fewer and further between.

I remember thinking that he'll always kiss me goodbye and yet third grade has consumed that as well. (although, not completely yet).

I can see the writing on the wall and know that the 4 week old who is nestled in my breast, relying on me for all comfort and sustainence will also one day pull away. I try to remind myself exacly what you said...God knows and loves him more than I am capable of.

I'm thankful for the reminder to cling to these days, even when I feel pulled in every direction and unable to meet their needs as I see fit. My prayer is that I can relish in this stage of life as long as it lasts and that those memories and a good dose of God's grace will bring me through the quieter, perhaps lonlier stages ahead.

bethany said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart and letting us in on your current parenting perspective. It is great to hear from a godly mother who has been where I am and can say 'hold on' to each moment for the future! I am savoring the times with my babies now....

Anonymous said...

THE REALITY of life and love shine through this article. I remember really being focused on the need to raise my kids to grow away from home and yet the heart yearns for communication from them and the nest has been empty for nearly 20 years. I am thankful for the memories and so very grateful to be way beyond the pain of absolute silence and yet the heart never ceases to long for more...I believe it is because we were really created for oh so much more .... but alas we are not living in "THE Garden we were created for" and I must wait for heaven! Thank you for this inspirational reminder! Oh yes, HIS GRACE Really is enough!