Friday, January 30, 2009

The Wonderful Role of a Mother

Dear Mom,

As you know, my cookbook shelf is full of books by the Barefoot Contessa, Nigella, Martha Stewart, Julia Child, Lidia among others. And quite frankly, I can never just stop buying new cookbooks. It's like Jesus would have to tell me He is coming back tomorrow for me to stop buying new cookbooks. However, the impressive number of cookbooks has not improved my cooking over the last 20 years of this passion for fine cooking.

Although you were a European Pastry Chef and baked for many fine restaurants years ago, I did not have any desire to bake, or even cook fine food as a child. Perhaps it was because everything you made was always made from scratch and I preferred peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread. I was fascinated with Eggo Waffles from the freezer section of the grocery market, because somehow there, I would not have to wait. I could pop it in, slather it with margarine, and pour that wonderful artificial syrup all over the little thing.

But then, I went away to college and all I was surrounded with was junk food. You were not there to cook any longer. Pizza at midnight, buffalo wings slathered with spicy sauce and enough blue cheese to cover New York, and well you know what came next? Twenty pounds! At age 21 I realized that instant gratification was not what it was cracked up to be. Perhaps you had given me something I should perhaps go back to and take a second look at.

As the late night snacks and junk food were eliminated, the pounds began to melt off . Late night snacks were replaced with coffee with my friends and browsing at coffee table books for our studio apartments. It was during this time that God was working to change my attitude of "I want it now" to "Lord, show me your will and help me to be patient as You work it out in my life." You see, the fast food, get it now mentality was beginning to be replaced with appreciation for good things come for those who wait ideology - sorry it took me so long to get this.

So you may be wondering about the fetish for cookbooks? Do you remember giving me 'The Way to Cook', by Julia Child? I took it out of a box as I was moving to a new apartment in Brooklyn when I was about 22. I had forgotten that you had given it to me as a fifteen year old for Christmas one year. Here it was on my coffee table - there for only the photographs, but soon it would stir within me a passion to nurture and serve others with food. I don't think you knew this because I no longer lived at home, but I began to buy a new one every year, sometimes more than one. From there I began to see that one of my gifts was hospitality - serving others, and eventually cooking for my husband and family.

And God has used cooking to not only serve others, but to reach other women when there may have been nothing else in common, and to love someone when words were not enough. The time involved in preparing a meal have been some of the best times for our family. They cut and prepare with me as we talk. Many a hurt has been shared as I have cooked and listened and they have opened their hearts. My husband and I have had great times cooking together.

I just wanted you to know that I appreciate what you gave me - what you continue to give me. I love you.

Thank you Mom. Love, Carolina

No comments: