Monday, January 5, 2009

Settling into life after the Holidays...

I love the holidays and thoroughly enjoyed my time with my family. Time away from home, away from the typical everyday responsibilities, time to play, time to visit, time to eat what I wanted without worry. I loved getting out with my husband while grandma watched the kids, cuddling with my nieces, shopping with my mom, giving gifts and watching my children play with their cousins.
But settling back into my normal routine after a week away has been a bit rough. The kids schedules are off from being away and not sleeping well, there are tons of new clothes, toys, books, and other presents to unload and find places for, not to mention the laundry that must be done, the groceries that need to be bought and the house that desperately needs to be cleaned again. The biggest obstacle to out smooth transition back into life at home was the one unwanted gift we brought home from...a nasty cold and cough. First my husband got it, then the baby, then the toddler, then me. We have now recovered mostly, from the holidays and the cold (except for the baby), but I feel like somehow I am behind in starting the new year!

Regardless of the less than easy aftermath of our holiday traveling, I am so grateful we went and thankful we have family who love us. Hope you enjoyed your holidays and if any of you are having a tough time transitioning back into 'normal' life (whatever that is), don't forget that the best Father ever, our Lord has it all in his hands. I am reminding myself now that even though I have not gotten around to writing out my goals/tasks for this next year, God already has everyday of this year planned and it is more important for me to spend time asking Him what should be on my list, than making it up as I go along!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My 3 year old is convinced she's supposed to get presents every morning - we don't have our tree down yet, but that'll have to go soon! It can be such a great time to see loved ones and friends - and exhausting. I hope you'll find some rest in the midst of resettling and recuperation!