Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to School?

Back-to-school...images of apples and backpacks, of new outfits, actual clean sneakers and neatly combed hair. Childhood, in all of it's magical simplicity. Today is a back to school moment for me, but there's no going back--just terrifyingly forward. Today, I leave my beautiful 18 year old baby in a college dorm on the other side of the country. Lots of tears this week, excitement, sorting of clothes, hours pouring over photos and a small paper bag stuffed with the critical ones that somehow capture who she is and the rich warmth of life and friends that she's so afraid she'll never really feel again.
And I was just getting the hang of it--just getting that thing about slowing down, sitting on the corner of a bed, not in a hurry. I was just learning to let her see the open side of me, the one that doesn't know the answer this time. I was just getting to the part where I paid more attention to the small passing comments that I had barely heard over the years.
And it's gone! I mean, she's not gone, but her childhood is. I won't be packing her lunch. The brown paper bag line-up on my kitchen table is diminishing, and so is my sense of being needed, at least in the way I've known to be needed. Motherhood is a journey. Just when the road makes sense and gets comfortable, it turns on you and flips you around. The rules change too. Early in life you are so responsible for being the center of stability and answers. But if you know all the answers when they're 16, it makes them feel like you're closed minded and they stop listening to you. The bed time that made them feel secure as small children, can make them feel like your not responding to their lives when they're 14.
So today , just like I did when she was 9 months old and crying in the middle of the night, I pray for wisdom. We ask a God who gives us wisdom without being annoyed that we keep asking! This has been a jewel in my life; experiencing that God does not get tired of being asked for wisdom in the moment, and He gives generously!

3 comments:

bethany said...

Thanks for writing this! I am just learning that motherhood is quite a journey and what you said about the rules changing just after you figure them out....rings so true for me lately (and my oldest is only 2). I won't fool myself to ever think I have it figured out anymore, but will continue to God for wisdom. Thanks for your experienced insight!!!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post. It has touched my heart :)

Caitlin said...

I love how your writing is so raw and honest. To be honest, reading this made my heart ache a little -- for you, and for all of us moms who will one day need to "let go" of our children. It makes me both fearful and sad to think of the day when I will need to send my baby girl off to "life" and watch her make her own mistakes and triumphs, without me to step in and help. But I guess that the true mark of success as a parent is if you can let your child go and see that they can survive, and even thrive, on their own. And since I know your family, I can say that you, Donna, have succeeded!