Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A 'Little' Prayer

I have started to realize lately that my 2 year old daughter is often a 'little me.' This revelation has been funny and scary too.

We watched the DVD of our wedding and my daughter took great pleasure in pointing out Mama, Dada, Nana, Grandpa, Grandma and other family members. Then she draped her baby brother's burp cloth over her head and walked slowly across the kitchen floor. Yes, a little bride to be in the making.

My daughter's little eyes don't miss a thing and she wants nothing more than to be like her Mama and Dada.
When she saw my husband and I dancing, she held my hands and made me lean down so she could push her cheek up against mine and dance with me. Then she kissed me and said "ohh Mama, Dada."

When the baby spit up a little, she dropped her toys, rushed over saying "uh oh baby," and used the corner of his bib to wipe his mouth. Then she smiled at him, said "hi baby" and after he smiled back she walked away to resume her play. (I often wipe the baby's mouth with his bib, and I guess I do usually smile or say hi to him before I walk back away).

When my husband came home and quickly and kicked off his shoes to run upstairs, my daughter pointed at his shoes in the middle of the floor and said sternly, "No Dada, no shoes." Then she picked up his shoes and placed them on the shoe mat next to the door. (I guess I do complain too much when he leaves his shoes in the middle of the floor).

When I stubbed my toe so hard I cried, my 'little' helper ran to my side to kiss my toe. Then she came back with a tissue for me, held my hand and squeezed her eyes shut, saying "Mama toe." She was praying for me! My heart swelled with a bit of pride. ( I do pray a lot with my kids; before meals, before naps, before bed, when someone is hurt or sick, etc...)

So a few days ago when she clasped her hands together, and squeezed her eyes shut...I asked who she was praying for. Are you praying for Dada (who did not feel well)? No, she answered. Are you praying for Nana, Grandma, Grandpa, baby...I went through the litany of everyone we knew. "No," she continued to clasp her hands together again and again and close her eyes. Finally, she looked up at me, pointed to herself and said, "Me... redboo, Mama." {'redboo' translation: Fruit snacks, given only as a special reward, are held in high regard at our house. The first time she had them, she ate 1 red and 1 blue hence they have been known ever since as red and blue or in her language 'redboo.'}

I had to laugh, now I understood her fervent prayer. She wanted me to give her fruit snacks, which due to her behavior I had denied her several times that day. Her asking, begging, crying and complaining had not worked....so she was trying prayer!! She is certainly stubborn and persistent I thought. (Is that like me too?)

I realized that I need to look to my Savior the way my daughter looks to me as an example. To observe His love, His words, His actions and become more like Him.

Lord help me to be the kind if mother, wife, friend and woman that reflects your love and grace. Someone that I will be proud to have my daughter imitate.

No comments: