Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sandpaper - by Jill

1Peter 3:8-9: To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.

Everyone knows someone who is like sandpaper to your skin. Well, God has taught me that these "human sandpapers" are actually for our benefit, to mold us into the image of His Son (Romans8:28-29). When my son was younger, the mother of one of his playmates was my sandpaper. You know the type, she would have her back turned toward you as if you didn't exist so she could talk to the person standing next to you, think nothing of taking advantage of your hospitality and generosity without reciprocating, ...

Well, I finally thought I was "getting even" with her. You see, I decided to treat her the same way she would treat my son. When my son had a playdate, all were welcome. The opposite was true for my son's friend. On one occasion my son had a household of boys over and I purposely did not invite this particular child . I was feeling quite smug with myself until I heard God say in my heart, "Is this really what you should do?" Guilt and conviction set in. How could I be doing this? How could I show this mother the love of God and who He is if I am not acting like His ambassador? My heart started to sink. I felt so guilty and worse, so ashamed. I immediately called the mother and invited her son over. I remember her sounding so shocked as she asked me, "Really? Are you sure? But I know you already have such a full house!" To make a long story short, when I hung up the phone I felt His peace. But do you know what really got me? The very next day I picked up "My Utmost for His Highest," and this is what it said:
"Whenever we are obstinate and self-willed and set on our own ambitions, we are hurting Jesus... All I do should be based on a perfect oneness with Him, not on a self-willed determination to be godly. This will mean that others may use me, go around me, or completely ignore me, ... submit to it for His sake..."

When I read that, I cried. God blessed me by confirming to me that what I did honored Him. This lesson has stayed with me since then. If I am to be His witness to the world around me, I must remember that love gives up its rights in order to demonstrate the character of God. Love is an action word. It means desiring another's highest good. While you are not to be a "doormat," as long as you keep your focus on God, He will be your confidence and keep your feet from stumbling (Proverbs 3:26).
So how about you? Is someone like 'sandpaper' in your life? If so, what do you think God is teaching you through this person? How do you display the glory of God?

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

This was such a great entry, Jill. This topic has been coming up a lot in my life through conversation and church sermons -- this is very important to remember and your own experience is such a great illustration of how God wants us to "love our neighbors." Turning your cheek can be as simple as extending an invitation to someone who has repeatedly rejected you. (Although it's not really that simple, is it?)