Thursday, August 28, 2008

Leaving it in God's Hands

This past weekend I had my last day at the part-time job I have had for the last year or so. The day passed with out anything out of the ordinary, as expected, and then was over. I was surprised to find myself worrying about what will happen next weekend when I am not there. It is no longer my responsibility and all the tasks and people will be managed by other capable hands. Yet, I still found myself anxious about no longer being there to make sure things run well.

Later, at home I sang "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands," with my daughter. I have sung this so many times that I have lost count. We sang that He's got 'mommy and daddy' in His hands, or you and me, the wind and the rain, our house and our car, the little bitty babies, grandma and grandpa....you name it and she wants to sing that it is in God's hands. Then she loves to clap and say "Yeah God." Oh if only I could realize that everything is in God's hands and leave it all there so easily. Right then and there I consciously decided to 'give' all my concerns back to the Lord. It is still a learning process for me, but I am making an effort every evening before I go to sleep to release anything I am holding too tightly to the Lord.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leave our cares in God's hands...
what a good reminder for mothers in all stages of mothering!

This is a great week for me to remember this truth... I'm facing a killer schedule at work, and my "little ones" (aged 19 & 22!) are both starting in new directions this week, too. One islaunching a new year in college, and one is beginning a new phase of his yearlong grad school adventure in Germany.

A mom's heart is quick to take on worry, no matter what age the kid! I will be humming this song with a grateful heart, and maybe making up some verses of my own: He's got the bike paths of Berlin, in His hands...! Then I'll focus on trusting God for the grace that I need, moment by moment, to lay down the worry and keep tuned in to Him.

(This is not really Anonymous, this is Beth. I just haven't figured out how to log on yet.)