Thursday, August 7, 2008

Keeping God in the Equation - by Jill

Recently I attempted to take a 5-day vacation with a girlfriend. My bag was packed, my oldest son came home to watch his younger siblings and off we went to Florida. Well, the 1st day was great but the next morning I received a phone call from my oldest son informing me that he was taking my youngest to the emergency room where he ultimately received 50 stitches. Now, I know I sound like a very bad mother but I really wasn't sure at the time what to do. You see, my younger son didn't care if I came home because he was receiving such good care by his brother, his hero.

I also know several things about God. Among other things:

1). He is El Elyon, God Most High who rules and overrules the affairs of men and He loves His children so much that nothing happens to them that isn't first filtered through His fingers of love. You see He sees the "bigger picture" (Romans 8:28-29).
2). He is El Roi the God who sees. He saw what was happening long before I did and what was going to happen before I can.
3). He is El Shaddai, God Almighty, The All-Sufficient One.
Therefore I prayed to God with my friend and asked Him to be My Light and to open the doors I should go through and close all other doors. I knew He would make it very clear to me. He did. A little later my oldest son called telling me that although my youngest son was doing well, he himself wanted me home because he was running 103.7 fever.

God is my rock and salvation. God's word warns us about leaving God out of the equation. Isaiah 17:10-11 says, "For you have forgotten the God of your salvation and have not remembered the rock of your refuge. Therefore you plant delightful plants and set them with vine slips of a strange god. In that day...you bring your seed to blossom...the harvest will be... of sickliness and incurable pain." When we plant delightful plants of pleasure such as wealth, status, etc, we must remember to seek His wisdom and guidance in and before all we do. Do you want peace about your decisions? Then make God the focus of them. Proverbs 1:33 says, "he who listens to me shall live securely and will be at ease from the dread of evil."

1 comment:

bethany said...

I have been praying about several decisions this week and know God will show me His path...but am still waiting. Your post was a perfectly timed encouragement to me, that God will open the doors where they should be opened and that I can rest in His peace until then. He is so faithful, thank you for sharing this.