Friday, September 26, 2008

Adopting a Cause

Each Wednesday after I drop my kids off at their different schools, I take the train into the City to volunteer my time at a Crisis Pregnancy Center as a peer counselor. I love the work - once I get there. To get there though, means juggling an already busy family schedule and committments at home. Some weeks the train is late, I have to leave everything at home "undone", I am exhausted from the night before with obligations, and somedays I am just tired and feel like I have nothing to give. But, the blessing always come - even when I am weak. The first part of the blessing comes from the choice to be there and the second part comes from knowing that a woman and her family will be cared for in their time of need.
Our friend, Monroe Diefendorf has written a terrific book entitled, 3 Dimensional Wealth. He quotes a Persian Proverb, 'What I kept, I lost. What I spent, I had. What I gave, I have'. Diefendorf writes about life as a journey that requires planning. Plans we make should be based on who we are, what we have, and what purpose we have here in this life. Early in our marriage, my husband and I began a conversation about the need each of us has to serve others. It enables us to use our gifts, practice other centered love, and be connected to the Body of Christ. It is what drew us to each other.
How can a family with young children find the "extra" time to adopt a cause? It can happen and it will build into your child's heart and mind a lifestyle of other centeredness. When your children are very young, bake cookies with them and take them to neighbors, your church's Sunday School snacktime or coffee hour. Next time you are out for a walk with the children, talk about ways you can help others in your neighborhood - pulling your neighbor's empty garbage cans off the street after pickup, carry their newspaper to their door, shovel an elderly neighbor's stoop or rake their leaves. Walk or run with your strollers in a marathon to benefit special needs kids or research to find cures. Knit baby caps for neo natal intensive care units. Donate your old clothes and make the children apart of giving their old things away as a way of paying it forward. Give your old books away to literacy programs. At holiday time, pack a shoe box for a child who may only receive that box for a gift. There are countless opportunities.
If writing a check is how you feel most comfortable, include your children as you determine your family's cause. Support causes that are important to your family's values, whether local or international. The work of telling others the Good News about God's wonderful kindness and love begins with His love. Matthew 20:8 says that 'the Son of Man came here not be served but to serve others'. And so sometimes it will be with a check, sometimes with volunteer opportunities or marathons, and sometimes it will be in your home as you and your family identify people in your life who need to see the hands and feet of Christ shown through people.
God bless your efforts as you keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true. Hebrews 6:11
Nina

1 comment:

bethany said...

Thanks for giving me incentive, as well as some very practical and simple ways, to 'adopt a cause' in a way that I can include my toddler too!