Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Greatest Story Ever Told

Most children love when parents read to them, and parents love it too! In our home we spend a lot of time telling and reading the greatest story ever to our children - the Bible. Now we have a new favorite bible for our family; The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name. This bible is not just a mere paraphrase of the most basic bible passages, like many children's bibles. This bible tells the story of God's 'Never Stopping, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love' for us and His 'Great Rescue' plan for us. Author Sally Lloyd-Jones captivating writing, not only tells the bible stories and truths but shows God's love, and the character of Jesus in a way children can understand. It truly tells the 'story' beneath all the stories. The creative and intriguing illustrations, by Jago, collaborate wonderfully with the text to add meaning to each story.
While some people may take issue with the few 'liberties' taken in the storytelling, I don't. For example, the prodigal son practiced his I'm sorry speech on the way home, Jesus winks at the boy with loaves and fishes and when Gabriel spoke to Mary she looked around to if he was talking to someone else. To me, these small details are just a way to help portray the emotions of the story and do not diminish the value and truth. The Jesus Storybook Bible is geared toward ages 4 - 8, however, 2 and 3 year olds that we know love it as do older children. Lloyd writes in the opening chapter, "The Bible isn't mainly about you and what you should be doing. It's about God and what he has done." And this bible is all about Christ and His love and plan for us. This is a wonderful bible for children of any age (including grown up kids too!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the Storybook Bible too and my girls (ages almost 5 and 2) love it! Thanks!
Beth - did you mean that the liberities taken do or don't diminish the values...? I don't think it harms the truth of the Bible at all, in my opinion.
Great review!

bethany said...

I meant to say that the liberties taken DO NOT diminish the value!! Sorry about that it was one of those mornings when I proof read it while holding my baby and trying to keep my toddler busy...guess I should not do that! Thanks for pointing it out, I fixed it! Glad your family LOVES this bible too.

Jago said...

Hello, I'm Jago, illustrator of the Jesus Storybook Bible, just thought I'd stop bay and say thanks for mentioning my work.

If you'd like to see any more of my work, take a look here:

http://www.jagoillustration.com