Thursday, September 4, 2008

In Everything Give Thanks - By Jill

1Thessalonians 5:18 in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus

Several years ago my school district went through a redistricting procedure to 'equalize' the number of students attending the 2 elementary schools in the district. As you can imagine, parents were quite upset and angry at the proposition that they might have to switch their child's school. To make matters worse, families were split up because siblings attending 4th grade or above were allowed to remain in the school they were attending but those under 4th grade were force to transfer to the other school which involved 2 different buses at 2 different times. At this time my youngest was in 2nd grade and my middle son was entering 5th grade. During that summer I was teaching my children the names of the Lord used in the bible. One of the names of God is El Elyon, God Most High who rules and overrules the affairs of man. As I was teaching them about El Elyon, I heard God say to me very clearly, "Do you trust Me?" Wow! I knew this meant my neighborhood was going to be chosen to redistrict. I had to trust God completely. When we received the news about the redistricting my youngest son, the 2nd grader, cried at night for 2 weeks. My middle son offered to transfer with him so he wouldn't feel so alone. Although I was extremely touched by this act of unselfishness, I knew God allowed this to happen for a reason and I just had to trust Him. I kept telling my children to trust in God, El Elyon. As time went by I understood part of the reason God allowed this. You see my middle son was a very strong, confident student. My younger son on the other hand was the opposite. Had he remained in the same school he would have walked in his brother's footsteps and been continually compared to him. Instead, by switching schools, my youngest son stood alone and was able to blossom and bloom in his new school. By the time middle school came around he was in his own element. This life lesson has always stayed with me and it is a reminder to me that because we are His, nothing will happen to us that is not first filtered through His fingers of love. As Romans 8:28 -29 says, "and we know that God causes all things to work together for the good to those who love God ... to become conformed into the image of His Son..."
What about you? Are you struggling with something that you need to give to God? Go, run to you Father. The Lord will be you confidence and keep your feet from stumbling (Proverbs 3:26).
Are you trusting God no matter what circumstances you are in? " For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, to give you hope and a future" (Jeremiah 29:11).
No matter how hopeless the situation looks, keep your eyes on Him. "Therefore, ... let us lay aside every hindrance and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." (Hebrews 12:1-2).

1 comment:

Carolina said...

I need to be continually reminded of keeping my eyes fixed on Him, no matter what my circumstances. It's good to be reminded, and to be encouraged that Truth is where the answer lies. Thanks Jill.