Monday, September 22, 2008

Anything but Ordinary.....

Over the weekend I traveled to attend the wedding of a very dear friend. I was excited to get away, to see old friends and mostly to get to be there to share in her joy! But I did not expect the wedding to have such an impact on me. Like many of us, I have been to a lot of weddings over the years and although each one is special and I am happy for the couple I am sad to admit that sometimes they almost seem commonplace. Well, this wedding ceremony reminded me that no wedding, and no marriage is common or ordinary. The marriage covenant, the wedding ceremony and the couple themselves all paint an extraordinary picture of God's love.
It was a beach wedding. As the guests gathered on a gorgeous sunny morning, soft music mixed with the lapping sound of the waves. People chatted as they settled into their beach chairs, seagulls flew by and children played in the sand. The mood was that of a relaxed gathering, but there was a hint of anticipation as well. When the MC announced that the wedding was starting, and the groom stood in front (flanked by the pastor and his best man) no one knew what to expect. We all looked around and wondered....where was the bride? Then the groom's face lit up, he saw her and soon we did too. There she was walking out of the trees and onto the beach, about 70 yards away. She walked slowly along the shore, her soft white gown ruffling in the breeze. As she got closer we saw her bare feet leaving footprints in the sand and her smile radiating as she approached. Then her groom began walking out toward her. He reached his bride, handed her a single white rose and they continued, arm in arm, until they stood before us. It was breathtaking! We were speechless, smiling, crying and amazed. What followed was a simple ceremony beginning with a reminder from the pastor that marriage is not ordinary, the joining of two people in such a way is, in short..... a miracle!
On the ride home I replayed the image of the beautiful bride walking towards the love of her life, and her love, her expectant groom walking out to meet her. Taking her arm he led her the rest of the way until they became one. It was an amazing reflection of God's love for us, His bride, His love. He is walking towards us, waiting for us to come all the way to him so He can meet us and guide us the rest of the way!
I have a renewed sense of appreciation for the blessing of my marriage, my husband and my God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bethany for such a beautiful illustration. All I can say is Wow!

bethany said...

The bride told me she read this and it brought her to tears because that was the exact picture they wanted to paint for all their guests!