Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday Night Recipe

Baked Ziti

*This recipe is from "The Sneaky Chef" cookbook by Missy Chase Lapine. She has an amazing bunch of kid-friendly recipes that include pureed fruits and vegetables and other sneaky, healthy add-ins. I would highly suggest this book - my husband actually got it for me because I don't really like many cooked vegetables on their own! For this recipe, you are supposed to have already made a mixture of pureed carrots and sweet potatoes to add in, but if I haven't made it I use 1 Gerber 2nd stage baby food container of carrots and one of sweet potatoes and it works great!*



Ingredients
1 pound ziti or rigatoni noodles (whole wheat preferred)
1 cup firm tofu, mashed well or pureed (1/2 of a 14-oz. block)
2 1/2 cups store-bought (or homemade) tomato sauce
1 cup Orange Puree (SUBSTITUTE BABY FOOD HERE)
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese

1)Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 13x9" baking dish with oil.
2)Cook pasta according to package directions until slightly firm. Drain and place in prepared dish. Mix tofu, tomato sauce, and baby food in a bowl. Toss pasta with the sauce mixture and 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top the pasta with a combination of the parmesan and the remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese, sprinkling evenly over the top.
3)Cover ziti with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake another 10-15 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

1 comment:

bethany said...

Yummm....this was great! My husband and my two year old loved this. And no one knew there were any hidden veggies in there! I actually made extra and froze it for a future quick meal.