Tuesday, September 9, 2008

It's Potty Time

For anyone with toddlers, two little words may strike fear in your heart or make you want to pull your hair out... Potty Training! Those whose children have already accomplished this feat are probably breathing a sigh of relief, or possibly chuckling at some memories (if it has been several years since you went through it). Well I am currently in the middle of potty training my daughter, who turned 2 last month, and though I have had frustrating moments it has not been that bad....yet. That is because she wears pull-ups and does not seem interested in making the switch to 'big girl' underwear no matter how much I tell her how exciting it is. She is pretty much trained, in that she usually keeps her pull-up dry and clean all day and only wets once in a while. I have been trying to figure out how to get her through this 'last step' of potty training. Several moms recommended a great book and I recently borrowed it from a friend.
Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day, Proven Secrets of the Potty Pro by Teri Crane, sounds too good to be true! I was surprised to discover how helpful this book is. Though a large portion of the book focuses on how to throw a day long 'potty party,' (a very successful technique) this guide is much more than that. Teri's fun to read book teaches parents how to recognize when your child is ready to be potty trained, how to help your child accomplish necessary pre-potty training skills, how to use consistent positive reinforcement and most important how to prepare yourself not to be anxious or frustrated with your child.
Though I was skeptical of a one day potty training technique (even though it is backed by experts), after reading the book it now makes complete sense. First you and your child need to be ready to potty train on several levels, which the book provides explanations and checklists for, and only then will an awesome fun filled day of teaching work. I recommend this book for any parent who is, or will be, facing the challenge of potty training your child. Teri's down to earth advice and humorous comments actually made me excited to finish potty training my daughter. The book also has checklists for everything, which I love, from how ready you are as a parent to potty train to all the supplies you need to start training. After reading Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day I am inspired and empowered to plan my own "potty party!"
*I will be sure to let you all know how the party goes*

No comments: