Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Barefoot Tales

My heart was broken today.
I was browsing through the Newsday website to be informed about the aerial spray that had to be done around where we live due to the West Nile cases, and found myself drawn to their "Photo of the Day" section. I love photography, so I'd thought I'd indulge my eyes with some mind blowing pictures.

They were mind blowing alright....
Most of the 170 pictures were images of the victims of terrorism, war, anti-government protestings, and different cases of natural disasters. They were all full of people in pain, in need, and in devastation, and this just broke my heart.

One thing I know from this is that it's evident that Jesus is coming very soon. But at the same time, I know I can't rejoice about what's going on around the world and how much I've become desensitized about the people in need. 

But what can a 30 year old with three young children and another baby on the way do to make an impact? Often times, I've felt that I am limited to do anything outside of my home because I have made that commitment to be focused on my children. But I realize, somewhere along the line, my perspective and attitude needed a realignment: to always be willing to be used as God's instrument no matter what stage of life I'm in. Just like the saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade", wherever God puts us in life, (in our case, mothers with little ones), we need to be willing to serve God with our children by serving others. 

I always emphasize on how as a mom, our first ministry is our home. But we also need to be aware of what's going on around us to be His instruments. I think for me, I focused too much on my children that I've gotten to the point where I turned self-focused. And often times, I've said no to God when He wanted me to reach out to someone in need. I know that as a mom of four little ones now, I can' exactly go to India or Haiti to help those who lost their homes due to severe flooding, but I know that I can definitely lift them up in my prayers and contribute in giving. I can also reach out to that mother who seems to need a break from chasing after her toddler, or encouraging that person who is struggling to find Jesus in her life. Whatever it is, it starts with our hearts. If we're willing, God will use us to make a difference. And yes, busy mothers can be a part of this. 
I saw some pictures of orphans my children's age, who lost their homes and their parents from the storms. As I tried to imagine, "what if that was my child?", I couldn't handle the emotions rushing in. But the truth of the matter is, they are God's children, and I can't imagine how much this is breaking His heart. I don't think I can push that image out of my mind. The hungry and shoeless children waiting to get their meal for the day. I can't forget what I've read in the New Testament when Jesus said (I can't quote word for word) if we feed the homeless and take care of the orphans, it is like doing the same for him. I hope that you will join me for the rest of this week to especially pray for those who lost everything from the series of storms we had last week. And I also hope that you as a mom will be able to teach the sharing of Christ's love with others as they watch you live out your faith.

1 comment:

bethany said...

Wow - your blog today really inspired me. It is so easy to know God's love, but not live it. And it is easy for me to be so focused on my family and immediate tasks that I can forget the world in which I live, and the many loves that need His love!