Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Clean Heart

Recently, I had an encounter with friends that left me feeling unappreciated, hurt and offended. More importantly it made me realize that we have all been offended or hurt at some point, whether by close friends, family, colleagues or even strangers. Everyone has feelings (no matter how we may try to hide them) and none of us are perfect so offenses are bound to happen. I have learned that the details of the offense are unimportant. Who may have been right or wrong, what was intentional or unintentional is inconsequential. Our reaction to the offense is what is really of value.

I had to examine my heart and determine why I felt so offended. My feelings had been hurt and I felt mistreated; certainly I had every right to be upset about that. But I also determined that a majority of my pain was actually due to my pride being hurt, not getting the respect I deserved and my perception that my reputation was being demeaned. Pride, reputation and respect from others, however, have no eternal value whatsoever. I had to remind myself that I am here only by God's grace and love.... I deserve death (as we all do). So how can I say that I did not receive the respect, appreciation and treatment I deserve. My heart attitude, my character and God's approval... these are things of eternal value, these are the things that matter.

And so I forgave the offenses and asked God to remove any unforgiveness or anger in my heart, especially towards those friends. I don't want to carry around the burden of hurt & anger, I don't want to hold a grudge. I want to have a heart that is unencumbered, and able to be filled again and again with God's love.

Psalm 51:10~Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right spirit with in me.


In no way am I implying that we should let ourselves be taken advantage of, excuse everyone of all offenses or not feel hurt. I was simply reminded to look at things through an eternal perspective and through God's eyes. Jesus was mistreated to an extent we can never fully grasp and still he forgave. I wanted to share this reminder with you. No matter how great or how small the offense is, don't jeopardize your heart or your character by trying to handle it on your own... take it to God.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding us that pride, reputation and respect have no eternal values.

Anonymous said...

It is quite amazing to me to hear your clear and concise reponse to offense. The example of Jesus stands as a light, that should allow each of us to graciously let go of offenses. Sadly, it is infrequent that this wisdom prevails. Thanks for the encouragement!