Wednesday, July 30, 2008

True Happiness....Joy

What makes you happy? Being with your family, a relaxing book/movie after a long day, playing with your kids, triple chocolate fudge brownie ice cream, a sunny day, a big hug, a job well done, a date with your husband.... the list could go on. Depending on the day, we may answer this question differently.
Who or what makes you laugh? Your kids, your best friends, your mom, your husband, your pets, yourself, a funny movie, dancing to favorite "oldie" songs, .... Again, on any particular day, you may have a very different answer.

Happiness and laughter are wonderful, they cheer us up, help brighten a difficult day and just make us feel good! This type of laughter and happiness, however, are based on our circumstances and surroundings. So when our circumstances are not "happy,"then so often we are not happy. If my happiness depended upon the fickle world and people around me, my life would be like a roller coaster. Up one day, and down the next. And I have to admit that there have been days recently that I have let circumstances steal away my happiness.

True happiness, or joy, is from God and cannot be stolen away by what happens in the world around us.
When my joy is grounded in God's promises for me as His child, His word and His love - then it is unshakable. Nehemiah 8:10 tell us that, "This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the JOY of the LORD is your strength."

So, Sunday morning when I was overtired, woke up to find my 2 yr. old had taken off her own dirty diaper in her crib (then tried to clean it up), the baby threw up on his church clothes and mine - I made a decision to hold onto God's joy and knew none of these little catastrophes could steal it away. I was scrambling to get two kids bathed and to church in the rain (by myself) on time to teach my sunday school class....... Amazingly we got to church, with joyful hearts and a grateful attitude. And I can even laugh at the comedy of the situation now.

I share this small miracle in my life as a testament and reminder to the true happiness and joy that God gives... nothing in this world can compare!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this great reminder. This joy you've described is a true treasure that we can only find in Jesus that nothing can take away from His beloved children.