Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Little Hands Can Be BIG Help!

Do you have laundry to do? Beds to make? Dishes to clean? Toys or books to put away? Furniture to dust or floors to sweep? If your answer is yes then be encouraged because that means:

(1) You are blessed to have children,
(2) Help is not far away,
(3) Your children can be wonderful helpers, when asked and encouraged.

Many moms 'assign chores' to older children, but not to toddlers or preschoolers. Younger children may not be able to handle the complexity or responsibility of some household chores, but I have found that the littlest hands are often the most willing, the most joyful and have the most to gain by accomplishing even the smallest task.

My 23 month old loves to put away dishes, set the table, sort the laundry, put clothes in the dryer, wipe off her tray and bib, swiffer the floors and put away her toys. No, I have not been training her from birth to be a homemaker and she does not attend "Mommy and Me Housework" classes. I have simply tried to use these basic principles:

(1) Ask your child to help. Often we do not ask young children to even clean up after themselves, let alone help with things around the house. Of course you have to start small. Helping to set the table, means that she puts on the silverware, napkins and plates.... it does not mean they are always in the proper spot. She is so happy to know she can help. It makes her feel included and capable.

(2) Encourage your child. I let my daughter know what a big helper she is and thank her. Also, I point out whenever she does something better. For example, "Wow there is a lot more dust of the swiffer this time, you must have pushed it around a lot. I'm glad mommy did not have to do it." This makes her realize she truly did accomplish something and want to help more. **TIP - Swiffers are great because you can detach the top half of the handle to make it the perfect toddler/child height**

(3) Make it fun to do together. Sorting the laundry as we fold it has become a fun game for us. We pick up an article of clothing and say who it belongs to then put it in their pile. My daughter cannot quite fold the laundry yet, but sorting it and naming what color it is and where it goes on her body is fun for her. Especially when I pretend her clothes are mine. This becomes a laughing and learning time for us to spend together.

Including your young children in household tasks now will make housework more enjoyable for all of you, teach your children that everyone in the family needs to help and foster their confidence and responsibility.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such a great way to teach little ones and spend time together! I'm definitely going to try it with my toddler. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I loved this blog!!!! How I wish I could go back in time and do things differently. Praise God you know Him now! I remember how little ones loved playing monopoly in my lap and being the 'bank' for me. Thank you for sharing these wonderful tips. I'll be passing them on to the college girl group and my nieces.