Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Oh No... Mama"

My daughter, who turns two next month, suddenly has a new favorite phrase: "Oh No!" She says this when things do not go exactly as she wants, or when she is upset by something. Of course in the life of a toddler these two scenarios happen quite a bit. So I hear "Oh No!" from morning to night, and some days I am sure she says this more than a hundred times. Here is an example:

6:45 AM (via the monitor in my room) - "Oh No, Oh No!" She wet her pull-up. (We just started potty training, but that is a whole other blog)

6:50 AM "Oh No Mama! Oh No" - She is sitting on the potty and I gave her the wrong book to read.

6:58 AM "Oh No" - There is a minuscule shred of toilet paper on the floor.

6:59 AM "Oh No!" - Ditto but it is a piece of fuzz on the stairs.

7:05 AM "Oh No Babee" - Her baby brother drooled on his bib (which happens all day long and is by no means a new or unexpected occurrence)

7:25 AM "Oh No Mama! No Yella" - I gave her an orange bowl for breakfast and she wanted yellow. (I avoid an extra "Oh No!" by letting her choose her own spoon and make a mental note to let her make as many choices as possible today).

7:30 AM "Oh No Mama!" - One flake from my cereal bowl fell on the table.

7:45 AM "Oh No Dada, Mama's" - My husband drank out of my glass and not his.

8:00 AM "Oh No, Oh No!" - She knocked all her blocks from the table onto the floor.

8:10 AM "Oh No Babee." - Her brother dropped his toy!

8:30 AM "OH NO BABEE, OH NO MAMA!! OH NO! - The baby pooped through his clothes. ( I agreed with that one - Oh No!)

8:35 AM "Oh No, puhpuh, Oh No!" - She cannot find her purple crayon, but has 8 others in her hand.

You get the idea, she says "Oh No!" all them time! I often reply and explain to her that it is ok that the baby dropped his toy, we will pick it up for him. Or I explain that she can go potty even if we cannot find whatever book is her favorite that day. And even the big "Oh No's," I let her know that it will be ok, we will clean it up!

Last night as I tried to fall asleep I heard my little girl's voice saying "Oh No" over and over in my head. It made me laugh. Whether she had an accident on the floor, or had to use a 'yella' spoon instead of a red one she said "Oh No!" with the same intensity and alarm. I realized that in her world everything is a big deal and she always wants her way, no matter how trivial it may seem to me. Oh, kids are so funny I thought as I laughed again to myself. Then I stop chuckling and thought of our Heavenly Father looking down at us, saying "Oh my dear little one, you do not have to worry. It is ok if things don't go the way you wanted. I am in control of every detail."

Thank you Father for reminding me of your words, "Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was laughing from the beginning to the end of this entry :) I can laugh about it because my own toddler does the similar thing everyday. Thank you for reminding us of the different perspective: how God deals with us as our loving Father as we go about doing some silly things. I wonder if He laughs about us as we do about our kiddies :P

Carolina said...

Thank you Bethany for reminding me that my "oh no's" although said with a bit more intensity :-) are still under the control of our heavenly Father who loves and cares for us. Loved reading and imagining the sweetness of these moments. They are precious.

Anonymous said...

I am not a toddler, but have had a few "oh no's" myself recently... breaking the copier at church,(my husband is the pastor--a definite oh no).. being late for an appointment... then falling down on main st, w/ my papers blowing along the road..("oh no" I'm embarrassed, "oh no" something hurts:, and "oh no" I might get run over!) All, big things to me, yet by dinner (quickly thrown together) they were all taken care of. I wonder if God is lovingly chuckling at me?