Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Little Girl is Growing Up

Today, I finally received a letter from the Board of Education letting me know which school my daughter has been accepted to start Pre-K in the fall. I have been waiting impatiently and anxiously to find out if Kate could attend Pre-K at the school closest to us, which is P.S. 32 but no such luck. She has been accepted to attend P.S. 107, which is only a block away from the house but on the other side of a major intersection making my trip more challenging and difficult.

This would not be an issue if I didn't have my little one. But the idea of taking my 20-month old out everyday on a stroller through the rain and snow is very repulsive to me. So now I'm debating on sending Kate to a private nursery, which is not any closer but it's a better walk since I don't have to cross a major intersection. It's a half day program but they also have parking in the rear, which is always a plus!
But as I was weighing my pros and cons I wondered if I was being selfish not thinking what Kate would want. Even though she is only three years old, she knows what she wants and she definitely has an opinion of her own. I definitely know she wants to go to school because she has been telling me everyday. But I don't know if she wants to be in school all day from 8:00-2:20pm. Personally, I don't think she has to be in a full-day program because she is only starting Pre-K and I don't think she is going to be getting a 'real' education yet.
So I decided to leave it up to her. So I said, "Are you going to miss mommy when you go to school?" And she said, "No, I'm not. I'm going to miss daddy because I love my daddy." I wanted to give her a time out but I couldn't blame her for being honest with me since it's not her fault she is daddy's little girl.

No comments: