Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Book Reviews

I will be starting a new feature on Mom Inspirations- book reviews. I would love to hear your feedback on the kinds of books you would like to see reviewed. Books for your kids, books for you, fiction, non-fiction, or even children's videos. Please let me know what would be helpful to you.

For starters, I have chosen to review a book that is great to read with your young children, especially siblings. Next time I will review a book that is something for us moms to enjoy on our time (whenever we might have it).Annie Rose is My Little Sister, is a warm and funny story about about a brother and sister. We found Shirley Hughes' words and illustrations to be relatable and enjoyable for the whole family. My two year old, her four year old friend and his dad, and her six year old neighbor and her mom all found the story captivating. The 4 year old and 6 year old who read this book said that they, "liked the pictures," and related to many of the things in the story - "my brother does that," and "we play hide and seek too."

I admit that I have practically memorized this 30 page book, as my daughter has requested me to read it to her several times a day since we brought it home. What I loved about this story is that is really captures the feeling of love between siblings and family in a subtle way. Rather than simply saying "Annie Rose is my little sister and I love her," the author paints a picture of that love through illustrations and observations of the the everyday things the children do together. The story also touches on some things that the older brother finds annoying about the little sister sometimes. For example, "Annie Rose always want to play with my toys - she seems to like them better than her own." But he also praises her for what she can do and says that when she is sad he's, "the only person who can cheer her."

Overall, Annie Rose is My Little Sister, is a loving story about the bond between siblings that will go on, "forever...even until we're grown up." I enjoyed reading it with my family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like the fact that you added the children's videos. That makes it a lot easier for us to pick out wholesome selections for kids since not all children's movies are 'wholesome'.